Thank you for taking the time to check us out! We are Tom and Kris Downey, a retired couple from Oregon, Ohio. Early in 2014 we made the life-changing decision to move from a BIG house into a not-so-big motorhome. That decision started us on a downsizing path that can only be described as EXTREME. We are now living the 90/10 life. 90% of our possessions are gone, sold, donated, or gifted. The remaining 10% are either with us or in our 10×10 storage unit back in Ohio. So far we are not missing any of our “stuff.”
The most common questions we get about this life style change are WHY and ARE YOU CRAZY?
The best way to answer this is what we jokingly call “The Thunk Test.” Let me explain. We found ourselves in the position of deciding on our next move. We were empty nesters and the house was w-a-y too big. We considered buying or building a smaller house or a condo. We started looking at real estate. We considered becoming snowbirds. We started evaluating building plans. We starting checking out sunny locales.
All of this left us with a THUNK. No excitement. No anticipation. No Joy. Just THUNK.
Then we started talking about living in a motorhome and traveling the country. All of a sudden we were both excited! We decided to acknowledge the THUNK and go for the adventure and here we are!
This decision wasn’t totally out of the blue – it was in part inspired by our friends Mike and Donna Kuper. They traded “real estate for wheel estate” in July of 2013. Mike writes a great blog called www.flyingthekoop.com. We also have friends Ray and Kathy Crabtree who made the BIG life change about the same time. Their blog is www.rvtreehousing.com
And in the strange-but-true category, in our downsizing I came across a journal from 2009. In it I had written, “We are traveling the country in our motorhome towing our corvette.” The corvette part didn’t quite come true, we tow a Chevy Equinox- but I’m not complaining.